Feature Articles Archive
- Spring dark sky star party featured in the La Canada Valley Sun
Our Spring 2013 dark sky party at Mojave National Preserve attracted record attendance and spawned this great article in the La Canada Valley Sun by Tiffany Kelly
- Yosemite Nature Notes - Night Skies
Gorgeous video featuring jaw-dropping time-lapse photography of the night sky from Yosemite National Park. Jane and Mojo from the Sidewalk Astronomers are featured prominently.
- Photos from International Observe the Moon Night, Oct. 8, 2011
Stephen Coleman joined us to observe the moon on International Observe the Moon Night and captured some great natural-light images of astronomers and accidental astronomers.
- Iapetus: East is Least and West is Best
(Updated for 2011!) Jane outlines an observing project for Saturn's strange two-colored moon Iapetus.
- January observing, a Monoceros evening
Brief story from our favorite desert observing location, with pictures and astrophotos.
- A Ten Planet Night
Jane writes an observing report from a desert night that featured ten planets.
- Snakes, Tortoises, and Stars
Story and photo album (with some ultra-cute tortoise video) of our "Herping Star Party" in Mojave National Preserve, April 25, 2009
- NASA Video on Star Parties for IYA 2009
This three-minute NASA video produced for the International Year of Astronomy 2009 features astronomers from the Old Town Sidewalk Astronomers at our observing site in Monrovia.
- Song, Telescope Man by Robert Cesarone and Northern Cross
Bob Cesarone of JPL moonlights as an acoustic musician, and wrote this song some years back for his favorite telescope man, John Dobson. This link is direct to the MP3 file.
- Photo album from the Lights Out Pasadena event
The sky was clouded out, but it didn't stop us from having a good time, talking about lighting and telescopes. (Mojo finally did something we've been accused of for years – just showing a picture.)
- Catch Some (Lunar) Rays
Jane observed the Hesiodus sunrise ray during a sidewalk session, and writes about observing these fun lunar phenomena.
- Crepuscular Rays at Bryce Astronomy Festival 2007
Jane's article on this fascinating sky phenomenon we saw at Bryce Canyon.
- 2007 Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon Trip
Jane and Mojo travel to the North Rim and Bryce Canyon for a week of astronomy with John Dobson and Barry Peckham
- Sidewalk Astronomers on Weekend America
Weekend America did a story on Jane, Mojo, and John Dobson for International Sidewalk Astronomy Day, May 19, 2007. The web site also features an article by Jane.